Thursday, June 11, 2015

Creating Worlds

So I have never been a reader. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy books but books have never consumed my life. My friends always get into these deep conversations about books and how they create worlds in their heads and how the characters are there best friends and I've always felt a little guilty that I have never been part of this world creating club. Yes some characters are funny and some scenes are heart wrenching or intense, but at the end of the day I can put that book down and never think of it again. I could lock it away and never have a yearning to visit Hogwarts, or Forks, or the little country home that Scout lives in. To this day I've always been kinda hesitant to admit that. To admit that I, Abby, am not a reader, because let's be honest with ourselves people who don't read are looked down upon. It doesn't matter if too lazy to read, you don't know how to read, or you just don't enjoy it. Reading makes you more intelligent so if you don't read start because you can't possibly be intelligent unless you enjoy reading. That's just simply how it is. In a library there is a section where you can check out CDs, and when I go to the library that's the first section I go to. This is not because I think music is superior to books or that books take too much time, but because music is how my worlds are created and just like my friends I love the feeling of stepping into my own world.

My sister came home from a church camp in 2009 and she came back with a cd filled with music. I still remember listening to this song for the first time. I was in the car with her and I distinctly remember crying, because that what the music did to me. I must of listen to that song 20 times just that day. It wasn't just a song it was a new feeling that I couldn't describe. When I listen to this song I can close my eyes and imagine a new place that I've never been to before. I imagine a dancer and I can see so clearly every little move that she make. This isn't just a song it's a portal to a new world. Music does that to me. I'm not into books I'm into sounds, I'm not best friends with characters I'm best friends with chords and I don't' yearn to go to fictional places I yearn to go to my piano bench or guitar stand. I am in love with music and I don't know what I would do with out it.

There are things in everyone's life that they don't know what they would do with out. Maybe your thing is a book, but if it's not you shouldn't feel bad or a lesser person. Don't do what I have done for so many years and pretend to be into books when your not. Don't pretend that they have that amazing capability to transport you into a different world if they don't. There is nothing wrong with having that key to a new door be a type of dance, a certain lens frame, a hammer and nails,a piece paper and cardboard, a ball and some sneakers, or even some silly little chords on a old piano. There are amazing worlds in each of our minds and it doesn't matter how we open them only that we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment